domingo, enero 27, 2019

Old Vs New Butterfinger Recipe


I recently came across this article that stated that Ferrero bought Nestle's products sold in the US. This includes my favorite chocolate bar: Butterfinger. I thought about buying Nestle's older recipe, which seems to still be found in most stores as well as the "new improved recipe." I bought fun-sized bars from both manufacturers. This is what I found:

The taste is OK. Yes, I'd eat it if I was hungry and had nothing else to crave, but the new version lost its excellent taste. I decided to eat the Nestle bar first and then the Ferrero bar. The first difference that I noticed right after trying the Ferrero bar was  that it was slightly less sweet, it had more of a peanut taste, and a light hint of salt. The old Butterfinger taste was gone!

As for nutrition information, the amount of calories stayed the same. Additional calories from fat replaced a little sugar. The pictures below show nutrition information for a serving of two Nestle and Ferrero fun bars respectively:




While looking at the ingredients, the only "good thing" that I saw was that hydrogenated vegetable oils were replaced by vegetable oils. While vegetable oils are not necessarily healthy, they are not as unhealthy as hydrogenated oils. On the downside, I believe that the new recipe has more salt, which is why the amount of sodium is higher. Ingredient lists for both Nestle and Ferrero are shown below:





While it's good for Ferrero to use less unhealthy food recipes, sacrificing this for a great taste will not have me buy any Ferrero Butterfingers unless they go back to the old flavor. While I completely acknowledge that a single person like me is statistically insignificant in such a large market, Facebook reviews don't look good, so there's probably a significant amount of people who think like I do.

What I'd love to have is the old flavor with healthier oils, and have the manufacturer replace all of the added sugars for an erythritol/stevia mix, which is made of natural sweeteners that have no calories. Ferrero chocolates will get my business back if and when the old Butterfinger flavor returns.

No hay comentarios.: